Thursday, March 17, 2011

Our Garden is in!!!


Another season arrives and a new garden is in for the spring. This year we were running a little bit behind on our planting, so I took matters into my own hands after work one day last week and planted the whole thing myself with the girls help of course. I just love a yummy garden when it all starts to grow and you can walk out our back door and pick off an entire salad with fruit for dessert. This year we also decided to plant sunflowers against our back fence and decorating squash in between the sunflowers for the fall season. I can't wait to post the pictures when it all starts to come along.
We also are in a transition with our back yard because the grass is a huge trigger for Delia's asthma, so we have to tone it down a little and not have an entire back yard full of grass. We are going to put in some fruit trees and planter boxes along the edges and make a few other changes. Redesigning a large backyard is such a painstaking task, but must be done.
This year we planted:peas, green beans, onions, carrots, spinach, leaf lettuce, radishes, asparagus, romaine lettuce, zucchini, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, buttercup sqaush, peppers, squash, cucumbers, watermelons, strawberries and a rasberry bush. Whew, I think we got a lot of work ahead of us, but most importantly the girls enjoy the process and learning along with us!

No comments: