Sunday, October 19, 2008

Recent Health Update

So here goes our first attempt at blogging our lives. Yesterday I had another doctor appointment with my Endocrinologist and I am happy to say that I am pleased with the outcome. Needless to say she was very disappointed that I did not go through with my surgery to remove my Thyroid, and she made me say that I was accountable for my own decision even though she knows it is wrong. (In her opinion....of course). I am not here to tell you that I am cancer free, but I am glad to have things finally go my way.
To start from the beginning for those who don't know how I got to this point, I will try and condense the past 13 years of medical hells. About 13 years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic ovarian Syndrome). Back then all the doctors thought to do was stick me on hormones give me fertility treatments and make me a medical guinea pig. I did this for many years until I became seriously frustrated and gave up on doctors’ altogether. I didn't trust them, and I didn't feel that most of them should be practicing medicine and felt that maybe they should spend more time learning. I backed off for a few years, until one day I went to get my female check done with Pat Washkowiac (the greatest NP I ever met) and she was placed in my path to get my health back on track. Not only is she a PCOS specialist but she knew exactly who to send me to so that I can fix some of the things that went wrong.
Doctors now have a sense of what this PCOS is and how it affects the body. After all is said and done it has caused my body to become completely insulin resistant, I produce no progesterone hormone which causes my entire female system to go completely crazy, and killed my Thyroid function which enables the body to work properly. When the Thyroid doesn’t work, your body doesn't work.
Last year they found some lumps on my Thyroid and I went in for some ultrasounds and then some biopsies only find that I have Follicular Cancer on my Thyroid. Now this is not an aggressive cancer, nor life threatening at this time. I was strongly encouraged to have my Thyroid removed. I felt that this decision was wrong and went against my doctors’ orders and well as some surgeons’ orders to have it removed. I know that they have missed the boat and things need to be fixed and my body needs to be put back in place before I start removing body parts.
On Saturday, I was finally able to sit down and discuss my options and tell the doctor exactly how this process was going to go and what I needed her to do to help the situation. After a long haul of constant research I am happy to say that I am going to start all over again from the very beginning as if nothing is wrong with me and this time do the correct and extensive testing, while adding both Eastern and Western medicines together to help me become whole again.
So this where I am today; I have a long road ahead, but I am very excited that we are doing this trip with support from family and friends.

3 comments:

the browns said...

i am so happy you guys decided to start a blog!! Now we can keep up with each other better. Love the pics of you and Keith. Geoff says hi!

Hillary said...

I had no idea you have been through all that in the past 13 years. How frustrating! It's good to hear you are doing better. Can't wait to see you guys in December!!!

Janalee said...

looks like you figured things out. Well done, my friend, well done.