Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Health Update

Just in case you were wondering........here's the story!
A few weeks ago I went into my OB/GYN for a routine ultrasound checkup and they spotted a black mass at the top of my uterus. A litte over-reactive they sent me for some tests to make sure that I didn't have cancer. Needless to say that weekend was a little nerve-racking and all my cancer markers came back just fine and within the "normal" range. Which means that there were no cancer proteins running through my blood. YEA ME! Still concerned about this mass that has been increasingly causing pain and getting larger, they sent me for some MRI's, ultrasounds and more blood work. After an agonizing few days, everything came back great. I have a 6cm cyst coming from my right ovary. This is the same ovary that has continually caused me problems for a long time. Regardless of the medication to stop me from forming cysts, my body continues to make them. Why you ask? Not sure just a stubborn ovary I guess. Unfortunatly, this cyst didn't rupture and just kept growing out of control.(typical)
So, what this means is that I am fine (within reason) and NO, they don't have to do a hystorectomy which was the original thought. I do however go in the 25th of this month to remove the cyst and my right ovary. It's really not a big deal and pretty routine these days.All they do is cut me in 3 different places and do a laparotomy through those incisions. Two of the incisions are for for the tool and camera, the third incision will be there simply to take out the cyst and ovary. Its a simple few hour procedure and a week recovery and whala, I am back to normal.
Luckily I will still be functioning with one ovary so that I don't have to be medically dependant for hormone production. This really is no big deal and everyone has been wondering what was going on. Of course, that does mean that I will be recovering for Thanksgiving this year and not on my feet (persay) to make a big meal. Thats how life goes.
If it's not one thing, it's another. The good thing about all this is that I found another Endocronologist that seems promising to work with and I have formed a greater relationship with my Gynocologist. (Not in that way) I love how she is so on top of what is going on and calls me at home often to check up on how things are going. It's nice to know that there are still some very caring people in this world and that their job is not all about the money. Anyone interested in their names, give me a holla. I don't mind giving out their info, in fact I think I keep them in business!!!!

1 comment:

the browns said...

Sorry you have to deal with all this. Life is so unfair sometimes! I am glad there is nothing too serious to worry about though. Have Keith make thanksgiving this year! ha ha
We miss you guys and think of you often!